Welcome to "Barbara's Excellent Adventure"

Friday, July 9, 2010

Interim Report


I started this new blogging experience in order to keep all those interested informed about a possibly life-changing event in my life. After the positive, if still preliminary, results of the scan in May, I just returned to living my life as usual, almost as if nothing had happened. Since there seems to be no reason not to, that is just what I'm doing. Nevertheless, I'm finding myself responding to each of you, one by one, as you ask the question, "How are you?" So for those of you who haven't asked yet, but may be wondering, here is my situation. On August 30th, I will have the Pet Scan which will indicate the results of the radiation and whether further treatment will be necessary. Perhaps it is just protective denial, but I don't think about it very much. Maybe that's why I haven't written about it, though, and why I seem to be almost pathologically busy right now. As I say that, I'm reminding myself that we ARE preparing for a month-long road trip, which adds astronomically to the to-do list! It is also reminding me of all that I haven't been keeping current, as I prepare at work and at home to be away for a month.

I am very excited about the upcoming trip. Van and I have so many activities that we engage in separately, but we both love road trips. We haven't done one in a long time, and we're thinking we better do it before the kids have to take our car keys away from us. It has provided a great reason for buying a new Subaru Outback, although the decision to trade in Van's truck left him with a little nostalgic grief. He and that truck had shared many lovely and memorable experiences over the years. On the 20th of July, we will head north, up the coast, through Oregon, and on to the Seattle-Tacoma area, first, for Jeff's 50th birthday celebration (see previous blogs for the history of Jeff), and then to the wedding of Barbara Toothman's son, Jimmy. From there, we go north into Canada (yes, we are remembering to take our passports), through Banff and Lake Louise, and finally down to Twin Lakes in northern Minnesota, where Van's family has a cabin. For all of our married life (our 57th anniversary is on July 11th), we have periodically visited that cabin, so it carries many treasured family memories. Some of those who people the memories will be there, as well as daughter Elizabeth and her children, Joe and Jesse. Then we will go to southern Minnesota with Eliz, Joe and Jesse to their home, spend a few days, and hit the Blue Highways for a return trip to California.

Before we leave, we must say goodbye to our good friend and neighbor of 40 years, Nelee Langmuir. During the Second World War, Nelee and her sister were among the" hidden children," sheltered by brave French citizens from the occupying Nazi's. After the war, she was reunited with her parents, coming to this country. Her second marriage was to Gavin Langmuir, a medieval scholar, our neighbor and a colleague of Van's. Until retiring fairly recently, she taught French at Stanford. Gavin died a few years ago, a grievous loss for her, which she bore with her usual grace and courage. Two weeks ago, she received a clean bill of health, with no evidence of the breast cancer she had suffered previously. Shortly after, experiencing unusual back pain, another galloping cancer was discovered which will very likely take her life before we return on August 20th. When I called to lament my sense of loss, she said, "Well, yes, but I'm getting lots of help... now, how are you?" She is so remarkably balanced - sensitive and sturdy, always interested in and helpful to others, at the same time tending well to herself. It is hard to see such a bright, spirited light go out.

For the first time, I have a laptop to take with me on a trip, so it will be possible to blog. At least, I will be able to register impressions along the way. If any strike me as worthy of passing on, perhaps you will hear from me. Otherwise, August 30th will undoubtedly inspire an update.

P.S. If any of you in the Bay Area can scare up a kid, or have enough kid in you, DON'T MISS Peter Pan, playing at Ferry Park until Sept. 5th www.peterpantheshow.com. Faith, Alice, and I took Mollie. No wonder I picked that scrappy little Tinker Bell as my special helper!

Mollie and "Wendy"


2 comments:

  1. All Hail the Mighty Stanford "Road Warriors"!

    Hope your got to stay at one or both of my favorite Places in the Canadian Rockies: The Chateau on Lake Louise and the Banff Springs Hotel. Always wanted to play golf at the latter, but never did.

    Enjoy your stay on Twin Lakes. I remember it as the site of the alternate public swimming beach to Swan Lake, both of which were closed during the early 40s polio epidemic. Nothing quite compares to lake-living in northern Minnesota.

    Our road trip to Northfield in June was more eventful than anticipated due to car trouoble in Iowa; had to rent a vehicle to get to our granddaughter's graduation on time. She did very well in Russian Studies at Carleton and is currently job hunting from her home in Cody, WY.

    Wishing you continued safe travel from a fellow type 3, now cancer free, survivor.
    Dean

    P.S. Am not planning to attend the 60th reunion planning meeting. I've had my Carleton appearance
    for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. De retour de vacances, les nouvelles ne sont pas nécessairement toujours bonnes. Ci dessous l'extrait du blog d'une voisine de Nelee Langmuir décédée pendant ce mois d'aout 2010. Il n'y a rien à rajouter, je n'y rajouterai donc rien.

    http://ivanberaud.blogspot.com/2010/08/in-memoriam.html

    ReplyDelete