Welcome to "Barbara's Excellent Adventure"

Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Sixth – and Last - Week

My, that went fast! As one of my friends said, I am now Radiant. I have a “CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION, Given this 2nd Day of April, 2010.” As with all graduations, the relief is mixed with the sadness that comes with endings. I've always had difficulty with “It's Over.” It helped today that my friend Helen was there to take pictures and go out afterwards for a celebratory coffee.

This week, I felt a little more fatigued than I have before, so I welcomed the several rides that were offered and the company of these great friends. I was not too tired, though, to take a lovely walk last Sunday with my sister Portia. She brought me a Prayer Plant – yes, that is the name of it -- how could I not be O.K. with the people in my life coming up with such thoughtful support? I have a lovely collection of heartwarming cards, letters, emails, and a bunch of beautiful lilacs on my kitchen table.

Now the waiting begins – three months for the unseen work of the radiation to be completed. Tinkerbell will be very busy, sweeping up dead cells, maybe working a little magic. Then we'll see what happened in there. Dr. Canales, the team leader, wants to do a CT scan after six weeks, just to check progress, I guess, but we won't have a final result until after two to three months.

As the first chapter of this story comes to an end, I'm reminded of my childhood love affair with Christopher Robin, who was described at the end of his Measles Drama (quite a story – look it up in Now We Are Six) as follows:

"Christopher Robin woke up in the morning,

The measles had vanished away.

And the look in his eye

Seemed to say to the sky,

Now, how to amuse them today?”

Stay tuned - we'll see...




1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, Christopher Robin. Barbara, you found the ideal character to express your sense of wonder, gratitude and ability to bring all the gang together. Please continue your blog during the "waiting period." Your excellent adventure is too good to miss! Much love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete